The company was established on 2 March 1988 in Copenhagen. Esti Kemi A/S was an independent company until October 1991, when Haltermann AG, with head office in Hamburg/Germany, acquired the complete share capital. The company name was changed to Esti Chem A/S as most of the activities were devoted to the export markets. The Haltermann Group was founded on 8. January 1898 in Hamburg by Johann Haltermann with hydrocarbon solvents, mineral oils, and special blends as the main products.
Esti Chem´s products were sold as environmentally friendly alternatives to hydrocarbons, and the sales was expanding in many market segments, where the environmental pressure on traditional solvents was
At the end of the 1990ties the Haltermann family wanted to step out of the ownership position, and Haltermann AG was acquired by the UK-based investment company Ascot plc in December 1998.
Ascot plc was acquired by The DOW Chemical Company (DOW) in June 2001 and Ascot plc was liquidated shortly thereafter. Esti Chem was working as a specialties chemicals company within DOW until April 2006, where Esti Chem was acquired by Additiv-Chemie Luers GmbH & Co. (ACL). ACL sold a part of the shares to Managing Director Thomas Mathiesen, and Esti Chem is today jointly owned by the two parties.
The DS Group recently acquired the company Levaco Chemicals GmbH located in Leverkusen / Germany. The company is an important producer of specialty surfactants and formulation additives and adds important chemical competence to the DS Group.
For more information about Levaco see: